Deputy Leader of the Council (Environment and Clean Air)
The Deputy Leader (Environment and Clean Air) is responsible for improving all aspects of the local environment so residents can enjoy a cleaner and greener borough. They work with residents and communities to promote greater sustainability, cleaner air and cleaner streets.
They also lead on efforts to promote walking and cycling in the borough, as well as tackling air pollution, overseeing the Liveable Neighbourhoods project in Lambeth, along with the installation of a new network of electric charging points, the planting of 1,000 new trees and installing clean air green screens at local primary schools and will also lead on increasing recycling rates and on ensuring Lambeth’s streets are clean.
The Deputy Leader (Environment and Clean Air) will also be responsible for the borough’s road maintenance programme, continuing the Council’s investment in repairing roads and pavements to make them safe for pedestrians and cyclists. They will also oversee action to tackle enviro-crimes such as fly-tipping, littering and spitting.
• Tackling air pollution and overseeing the delivery of installing clean air green screens at local primary schools and the tree planting programme.
• Increasing recycling rates and overseeing the Council’s waste strategy and street cleaning services.
• Promoting sustainability, overseeing the installation of a new network of electric car charging points and leading on efforts to reduce carbon as Lambeth seeks to become carbon neutral by 2030.
• Tackling environmental crime including fly-tipping, littering and dog fouling.
• Making Lambeth the most cycle friendly borough in London, improving road safety, signage and street lighting.
• Overseeing the borough’s parking needs, including traffic management, enforcement and Controlled Parking Zones.
• Overseeing a programme of road maintenance and repair through the capital investment programme.
• Delivering public realm improvements to Lambeth’s public spaces, including the council’s community-led ‘Our Streets’ programme.
• Delivering local transport schemes, overseeing the implementation of Lambeth’s long-term transport strategy and lobbying for improvements to Lambeth’s rail network.
• Utilities and contractor relations.
• Championing affordable energy, including local schemes.