Submission to Local Government Boundary Commission for England
Councillor Jim Dickson, Cabinet Member for Voluntary Sector and Partnerships (job share), introduced a report concerning the Council’s submission to the Local Government Boundary Commission (LGBCE) in respect of the total number of councillors elected to the local authority.
Councillor Dickson highlighted that Lambeth welcomed the LGBCE review of the Council’s electoral arrangements and the opportunity to submit representations to the Commission. The following points were noted:
- The LGBCE was undertaking a review because Lambeth met the Commission’s criteria for electoral inequality;
- It had been 20 years since the last review;
- A cross party Member Working Group had been established to help guide the Council’s work in relation to the review; and
- An update to the report, including additional recommendations, had been provided via an addendum.
Councillor Dickson concluded by informing Council that the LGBCE’s review was undertaken across two stages. The first, set out in the report, related to Council size while stage two concerned the number and boundaries of wards; the number of councillors per ward; and ward names.
(1) That the proposal regarding Council size, set out in the report, recommending the number of councillors remain at 63 be approved for submission to the Local Government Boundary Commission for England.
(2) That the Director of Legal and Governance be authorised, in consultation with the Chair of the Member Working Group, to make amendments to the report in response to comments received from the Local Government Boundary Commission for England.
(3) That the revised report be circulated to Members of the Working Group before being submitted to the Local Government Boundary Commission for England.
- Council size - Council report, item 5. PDF 104 KB
- Council size submission final1, item 5. PDF 328 KB
- Appendix 1 Forecasting Methodology, item 5. PDF 191 KB
- Appendix 2 - Elector number 2025, item 5. PDF 183 KB
- Appendix 3 Electoral Arrangements in London, item 5. PDF 30 KB
- Appendix 4 Cabinet portfolios, item 5. PDF 225 KB
- Appendix 5 Committee membership, item 5. PDF 81 KB
- Appendix 6_Scrutiny Work Programme, item 5. PDF 120 KB
- Appendix 7 Councillor Duties, item 5. PDF 136 KB
- Appendix 8 Member Survey Results Summary Visual, item 5. PDF 130 KB
- Appendix 9 Outside Body Appointments, item 5. PDF 68 KB