Cabinet Member for Housing: Councillor Matthew Bennett
Strategic Director, Neighbourhoods and Growth: Sue Foster
Contact: Neil Vokes, Programme Director, Strategic Capital Projects, Business, Growth and Delivery, NVokes@lambeth.gov.uk; 0207 926 3068
The Cabinet Member for Housing, Councillor Matthew Bennett, introduced the report and made the following points:
· There had been much consultation on the estate in which 163 households had participated;
· It was previously not known if Wimbourne House would be included in the programme and the rebuilding has now been excluded following a stock condition survey which determined that the issues with Wimbourne House could be addressed under guarantee;
· Council could rebuild the homes and rehouse every tenant and rebuild at least 100 extra homes for council rent and at least 100 for private rent.
Councillor Alex Bigham addressed the meeting and raised the following points:
· The proposals were very good for local residents and those on a housing waiting list;
· The Wimbourne House residents decanted in a prior refurbishment had a bad experience, it was queried therefore what reassurances would be provided that this time would be better;
· It was further queried what provision there would be for disabled access and a community center.
Julian Hart, the Housing Delivery Programme Manager, raised the following points in response to questions:
· Following steer from the decision taken around Cressingham Gardens at the 13 July 2015 Cabinet meeting (Investing in better neighbourhoods and building the homes we need to house the people of Lambeth - Cressingham Gardens estate), it was hoped that in instances where residents would need to be decanted, these would be single decants only;
· With respect to the proposed community center, there was scope to provide this going forward;
· Disabled access will be prioritised at every step of the process.
(1) Authorise officers to progress the project on the basis of a partial redevelopment of the South Lambeth estate, in accordance with the approach set out in Section 2 of this report and Appendix B, and to procure a development management team to progress the redevelopment of the estate as set out in paragraph 2.2 and 2.11 of the report.
(2) Authorise inclusion of additional land holdings within the masterplan for South Lambeth estate, where such land lies on the boundary of the Estate, and where such inclusions would improve the place-making outcomes and deliver a net increase in the number of homes (see paragraph 2.12 of the report).
(3) Require officers and the procured development management team to work closely with residents in the procurement and formulation of the masterplan, including a phasing strategy and a local lettings policy for the Estate.