Report No: 110/14-15)
Key decision, Brixton Hill Ward
Report Authorised by: Strategic Director Delivery: Sue Foster
Portfolio: Deputy Leader of the Council (Finance & Investment): Cllr Paul McGlone
Contact for enquiries: Mark Hynes, Borough Solicitor and Director of Corporate Affairs 020 7926 2209
(Agenda item 5) (Key Decision – call-in deadline ends on the Friday 19 December 2014)
The Deputy Leader, Finance and Investment, introduced the report, noting that the proposals were necessary for the further development of the Town Hall parade site.
The Director of Corporate Affairs noted that it was hoped that negotiations regarding the piece of land currently owned by the Fridge Bar would be fruitful and the Compulsory Purchase Order powers would not need to be used. He also referred to a typo in the report – the last sentence should read ‘it is in the interests of the economic well-being of the community’ rather than ‘it is in the interests of the economic well-being of the country’.
(1) To authorise the making of the London Borough of Lambeth (1 Town Hall Parade, Brixton Hill) Compulsory Purchase Order pursuant to the powers in section 226(1) (a) of the Town & Country Planning Act 1990 as amended by the Planning & Compulsory Purchase Act 2004 (the “1990 Act”) to acquire the land shown edged red and shaded pink on the plan at attached Appendix.
(2) To authorise the Deputy Leader (Finance & Investment) to negotiate and enter into agreements which are needed to acquire the land and interests in the CPO by agreement in advance of, and subsequent to, the making of the CPO and to approve agreements and undertakings with the owners and/or occupiers of the land in the CPO so as to facilitate its acquisition.
(3) To authorise the Head of Legal to arrange for a land referencing exercise (including the service of statutory requisitions) to be undertaken to identify all parties with interests in the land shown edged red on the plan at attached Appendix.
(4) To delegate authority to the Head of Legal to settle the extent of the land to be included in the CPO and associated documentation including (but not limited to) the Statement of Reasons which will be served on affected parties following the making of the CPO and which will set out the justification for making the CPO.
(5) To authorise the Deputy Leader of the Council (Finance and Investment) to take all the necessary steps to pursue the CPO and secure its confirmation.
(6) To authorise the Deputy Leader of the Council (Finance and Investment), following the confirmation of the CPO to implement the CPO powers and acquire title to and/or take possession of the land.