Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To report on the results of the first round
public consultation on a Preliminary Draft Charging Schedule for
CIL and authorise the second round public consultation on the Draft
CIL Charging Schedule
The item was introduced by Cllr Matthew Bennett, Cabinet Member for Planning, Regeneration and New Homes who highlighted:
· The draft Charging Schedule for the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) was scheduled to go out to public consultation at the same time as the draft / revised Lambeth Local Plan.
· The aim of the CIL Charging Schedule was to capture as much value as possible from developments while ensuring it did not jeopardize affordable housing / affordable workspace etc.
· The importance of economic growth and investment
· The rationale for increasing the CIL rates (per square meter) for student accommodation and hotels.
The following points were highlighted during the discussion by Cabinet Members:
CIL Funding for Health Infrastructure
§ Councillor Ed Davie mentioned a recent newspaper article which had highlighted some local authorities had failed to collect/spend CIL money for health infrastructure projects.
§ In response (and at the end of the item) Cllr Bennett advised that in May 2019 he had signed off a report in relation to CIL spending of £1.27 million for additional health infrastructure in Clapham Park (Thornton Ward)
§ Cllr Andy Wilson welcomed the CIL increase for student accommodation as this would support the infrastructure improvements required.
Infrastructure Delivery Plan
§ Cllr Donatus Anyanwu highlighted the importance of informing residents how CIL money was spent
1. That the Consultation Report on the Preliminary Draft Charging Schedule (PDCS) 2018 at Appendix A be approved.
2. That the Consultation Report and this report and the Draft Charging Schedule at Appendix B be approved.
3. That a second round public consultation from 31 January until 13 March 2020 on the Draft Charging Schedule be approved.
4. That the submission to the Planning Inspectorate for the formal examination of the Draft Charging Schedule for the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) be approved.
Report author: Benny Clutario
Publication date: 20/01/2020
Date of decision: 13/01/2020
Decided at meeting: 13/01/2020 - Cabinet
Effective from: 21/01/2020