Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To consider the Kennington, Oval and Vauxhall
Neighbourhood Area and Neighbourhood Forum Application.
(Report 33/15-16) (Key decision)
The Cabinet Member for Jobs and Growth introduced the report:
· 31,000 people were expected to benefit from being in the neighbourhood area, and he was confident that with help support local Councillors it would be successful.
· The report authors stated that this was now very familiar to the organisation and the second such area forum to come to Cabinet. It would help engage with residents, but was not just about numbers of sign-on. The report sought endorsement on that basis and would be inclusive of all priority groups.
· The Cabinet Member for Adult Social Care commented that reaching out to the wider community was not just about numbers; and, citing Open World in Norwood, which had drawn persons in who would not normally sign on for forums, but as a result had a very diverse group without needing too many meetings and showed how reaching out could result in success.
· The Cabinet Member for Neighbourhoods praised the consultation and the hard work gone into it, and told colleagues that this presented a good challenge for Lambeth in reaching out, but needed to ensure there was value for money. There was a need to recognise the burden on residents and as councillors at the heart of communities they needed to make the effort to ensure achievement.
· The Cabinet Member for Children and Families stated that localism was cross-party issue which councillors from all persuasions believed in and wished this scheme well. As a local Councillor she would like to get involved; whilst local activity and campaigns were needed to get more people networking.
· The Deputy Leader (Policy) also extended her best wishes, reading out equalities panel over and above, but was concerned that initial legislation needed help feeding into communities which would present a significant challenge to ensure they work with Councillors.
· The Leader of the Council agreed to add equality panel recommendations.
1. That Cabinet notes the results of the publication of the Kennington, Oval and Vauxhall neighbourhood forum and neighbourhood area applications.
2. That Cabinet designates the Kennington, Oval and Vauxhall neighbourhood area as shown in Map (a) in appendix 1.
3. That Cabinet designates the Kennington, Oval and Vauxhall Forum as a neighbourhood forum.
4. That Cabinet instructs officers to publicise its decisions in relations to recommendations (2) and (3) in accordance with the statutory requirements.
Report author: Alan Vinall
Publication date: 23/07/2015
Date of decision: 13/07/2015
Decided at meeting: 13/07/2015 - Cabinet
Effective from: 24/07/2015