Decision Maker: Assistant Director, Parking, Street Management and Commercial, Environment and Streetscene
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
1. To issue approval for 20 “School Streets” schemes as listed in Appendix A to this report, to transition from two Temporary Traffic Orders, which were made operational on 2 September 2020 and 2 November 2020 respectively, to a new Experimental Traffic Order. The total estimated cost for this is £74,000 and the effect of which would be to prohibit motor vehicles from the affected streets at drop off and pick up Monday-Friday during term-time. To see full list of restriction times and locations see Appendix A.
2. To implement Recommendation 1 under an Experimental Traffic Management Order made under the provisions of Sections 9, 10, 124, Schedule 1 and Part IV of Schedule 9 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 (RTRA 1984) and that the notices of making for the Experimental Traffic Orders contain the statements specified in Schedule 5 of the Local Authorities' Traffic Orders (Procedure) (England and Wales) Regulations 1996. This order will replace the Temporary Traffic Orders which came into operation on 2 September 2020 and 2 November 2020 under Section 14 of RTRA 1984 which applies to the Roads referred to in Appendix A.
3. That, after consultation with the Chief Officer of Police, any modifications to the Order which renders it less restrictive may be authorised by the Assistant Director for Parking Street Management and Commercial, acting in consultation with the Head Teacher of the relevant school without the requirement to re-advertise the Order under Section 10(2) of the said Act.
4. That residents living within the closed sections of the School Street zones who require access, as shown in Appendix A, will be able to apply for a virtual exemption permit for nominated vehicles to access the zone at all times without committing an offence. Resident vehicles need to be registered to an address within the School Street Zone. That vehicles nominated by resident Blue Badge holders and Blue Badge holders of the school (pupils, parents and staff) who require access will be exempt from the zone at all times without committing an offence.
5. To give approval to amend the Traffic Order for Lowden Road School Street, which came in to operation on 14/09/2020, to reflect that residents living on Lowden Road will be able to apply for an exemption permit for nominated vehicles to access the zone at all times without committing an offence.
6. To introduce an additional COVID-19 School Street at Reay Primary School and include this on the Experimental Traffic Order with the aforementioned 19 schemes, bringing the total number of schemes on this order to 20.
7. That any valid objections received during the statutory objection period are considered by way of a written report to Assistant Director of Parking, Street Management and Commercial before a decision is reached on whether or not any of the provisions of the experimental order will be made permanent.
8. To exercise discretion not to hold a public inquiry pursuant to Regulation 9 of the Local Authorities Traffic Orders (Procedure) (England and Wales) Regulations 1996.
Publication date: 31/03/2021
Date of decision: 12/04/2021