Lambeth Local Plan Review
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To note the outcome of the public consultation on issues for the Local Plan Review and make a decision about proceeding to the next round of public consultation on the Draft Revised Local Plan.
The Cabinet Member for Planning, Investment and New Homes, Councillor Matthew Bennett, introduced the report and noted that the Lambeth Local Plan had been adopted in September 2015 subject to early review. The report under consideration recommended a second round of public consultation on the Draft Revised Lambeth Local Plan and responded to changes in national planning policy as well as the emerging new London Plan. Councillor Bennett noted a range of policy areas where the council was proposing changes. These included student housing, hotels, the approach to managing house conversions, affordable housing, viability assessments, minimum space standards, affordable workspace, car-free developments and improved cycling infrastructure. He thanked members of the Planning and Development Cabinet Advisory Panel for their input before expressing particular gratitude to Catherine Carpenter and the Planning Policy team for their work to date on the Draft Revised Local Plan.
Councillor Becca Thackray (Green Party) addressed the committee and requested further clarification on biodiversity calculations in planning assessments as well as carbon offsetting, which she said should be including in the Draft Revised Local Plan. The Planning Strategy and Policy Manager, Catherine Carpenter, responded the new London Plan covered these issues and would work alongside the Draft Revised Local Plan. The new London Plan included the Urban Greening Factor (a quantification of green infrastructure including biodiversity) as well as a requirement for carbon offsetting. Lambeth collected related financial contributions in certain circumstances.
The Leader of the Council, Councillor Lib Peck, welcomed the inclusion of proposed policy changes around affordable workspace which, coupled with the council’s new Creative and Digital Industries Strategy, would provide support for organisations throughout Lambeth. She then expressed thanks to officers for their continued work on the Local Plan.
It was RESOLVED:
1. To agree public consultation on the Draft Revised Lambeth Local Plan (Appendix 2 of the report) and associated Proposed Changes to the Policies Map (Appendix 4), to take place over eight weeks between October and December 2018.
2. To agree the Local Development Scheme (Appendix 5 of the report).
Report author: Catherine Carpenter
Publication date: 19/10/2018
Date of decision: 15/10/2018
Decided at meeting: 15/10/2018 - Cabinet
Effective from: 27/10/2018
- Cabinet report 15 October 2018 - Draft Revised Lambeth Local Plan (final) PDF 392 KB
- Appendix 1 - Key provisions in NPPF 2018 PDF 169 KB
- Appendix 2 - Draft Revised Lambeth Local Plan October 2018 PDF 10 MB
- Appendix 3 - Summary of consultation findings and key proposed policy changes PDF 204 KB
- Appendix 4 - Changes to the Policies Map October 2018 PDF 11 MB
- Appendix 5 - Local Development Scheme October 2018 PDF 156 KB
- Appendix 6 - Equalities Impact Assessment of Draft Revised Lambeth Local Plan October 2018 PDF 293 KB